Saturday, March 15, 2014

DIY Wedding Flower Petal Aisle Runner

This project was completed with the help of 5 Superman movies, numb butt, trigger finger syndrome, several bags of flower petals and a few large sticks of glue. I also used several feet of tulle (80 feet total). The project included some early lessons learned. I'd seen a tutorial that said it would be fast to use adhesive spray and place the petals on top. The two cans I got was a waste of funds, IMO. I would have done better to just go the hot glue gun route right from the start. To make it easier to pull up the tulle without tearing, I use a cookie sheet flipped over as my work area. The silver and blue petals were all dumped into basket and shaken so that I could randomly pull and glue. I kept the white ones separate so that I could use them as the back drop.

 After each pan length would cool, I'd gently pry up the tulle from the pan and start the next section.

Randomly I placed the silver and baby blue petals all over the whites. I also made sure that the petals overhung the tulle so that the final produce actually spanned about 8 inches.

 I liked looking at my progress as the aisle runner took shape. But slowly I started to run out of space.

 The plastic on the floor was my first failed attempt using the adhesive spray. All I got for that was a sticky plastic and time wasted.

 When I ran out of space, I rolled up the finished portion and kept working. I completed everything over a few days, but took breaks in between. And Superman can be quite distracting. Even the bad ones like with Richard Pryor as a computer geek.

 At the end of the long hallway and into our bedroom, I placed a piece of tape at the 40 foot mark and as my roll increased, I'd go out and unrolled it out and measure.

 After nearly 18 hours total (with breaks in between), I completed two 40 feet by 6" role of flower petals.

The final product in the church filled me with pride. Since one of my MIL's coworker was so generous in letting us borrow some of her columns and artificial flowers for the church (you can sort of see them at the end of the aisle), I gave her the runners as a trade. Initially I'd planned to sell it, but the trade was worth it and we saved a bundle.

1 comment:

  1. That's gorgeous! You've given me some really good ideas, and I think this will be perfect for my vow renewal. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete