Monday, March 3, 2014

Wedding Gift Card Box DIY

When I ordered the rosette fabric for the godet and train for my wedding dress, I made sure to get extra of the rosette for other areas in the decor. One area was our gift card box,. I went to Ross and got a large hat box. I cut a 1" X 8" rectangle into the top of the box.
 Then I covered the lid and the bottom separately using fabric glue. In hindsight, I would have used hot glue gun, but the fabric glue work.

 First I cut a circle a little larger than the top of the lid and then made a slit in the same area that the rectangle was cut from. I didn't cut a rectangle, I wanted the excess fabric to fold around the hole.

 It worked best for me to cut a rectangle the entire circumference of the box and about 4 inches taller. Then I wrapped the fabric around the cylinder and then folded in the excess fabric (about an inch) inside the box and underneath (the remaining excess). I didn't bother to cover the exposed piece. I also cut out triangles out of the bottom to make sure the excess could lay flat.

 I used a blue ribbon around the lid and and 3 adhesive rhinestone usually used for scrap books or invitation decorations.

For a final touch, I got artificial grapes and when my then fiance was stray painting the bottles for the centerpieces, he sprayed the grapes silver for me. I used hot glue to adhere it to the top of the lid. The lid was a really tight fit because of the fabric. I liked it because not anyone could just go and pull off the lid and take a card away. It held up perfectly well for both wedding ceremonies and was large enough to fit every card that we got. 


No comments:

Post a Comment